One afternoon final yr, I used to be minding my very own enterprise, after I by some means stumbled upon journal author Hunter Harris’s weekly e-newsletter, Hung Up. For the subsequent hour, I tore via the archives, together with an Olivia Wilde deep dive, a Prime Gun: Maverick assessment, and arguably the most effective opening paragraph to a e-newsletter. She’s a popular culture genius! So, I used to be thrilled when Hunter agreed to share 12 of her favourite issues…
1. Restaurant: When the gods smile upon me and I get a desk at The 4 Horsemen, it appears like getting away with homicide. However in an attractive, erotic-thriller form of method. They don’t submit the menu on-line (which drives me loopy since I’m at all times the particular person to search for the menu upfront), however each single factor is sweet.
2. Exercise: There’s one thing satisfying about taking an extended stroll whereas speaking on the cellphone to somebody you’re keen on.
3. Hair product: Sample is my favourite waxy, thick edge management. It lays these child hairs DOWN, honey; Fort Knox ranges of safety, and with minimal white residue. (If you happen to use edge management, you recognize what I’m speaking about.) I grew up with my mother utilizing outdated toothbrushes on my edges, however the accompanying brush actually does make a distinction with this product particularly, since you do want stiff bristles to unfold your swoops.
4. Notecards: I remorse my habits principally in all places, on a regular basis.
5. Residence discover: I’m so into my flatware, which I discovered via a reddit gap concerning the flatware in Molly Baz’s cookbook. They’re an amazing mid-weight and are available in numerous colours/finishes.
6. Candle: D.S. & Durga’s Huge Sur After Rain is an ideal, well mannered scent. Not too loud, not too intrusive. Breakfast Leipzig is somewhat louder, somewhat bossier, with notes of tobacco and leather-based. All I do know is that these candles discovered their method into my condo, and they’re my favourite smells.
7. Film: It modifications relying on the day, however proper now I can confidently say On line casino. It’s a film about Vegas and the mob, two worlds which are virtually hermetically sealed with their very own codes and traditions, nevertheless it’s additionally a film about attempting to fill the bottomless pit of the self — being solid out of Eden due to your personal gluttony. I really like motion pictures about male vainness and male insecurity. This one is extra shallow than Goodfellas, however extra glamorous, too.
8. Desk accent: The $7 velcro cable ties on Amazon essentially modified my life. I’ve one million cords for under like six units, and now I can hold all of them neatly in my desk drawer. No extra pulling out a wire solely to get to the top and understand it’s a usbc as an alternative of micro usb. (Me understanding the distinction… sure I’m a girl in STEM!) Additionally, Play-Doh at my workstation — good for fidgeting throughout an extended assembly.
9. Physique wash: Nothing makes me really feel as supported as waking up and taking the most well liked bathe possible. Proper now, I’m utilizing Naturium Glow Getter Multi-Oil Hydrating Physique Wash. It has a mysterious consistency — an oil that by some means lathers — and it’s very moisturizing. Doesn’t have a scent, however that’s form of high-quality with me?
10. Resort: I’m going to L.A. so much for work — generally months at a time, generally weeks right here and there. The Cara is the most effective resort in Los Angeles. I’m not staying wherever else, when it’s a brief journey. Attractive interiors, a restaurant value consuming at even in the event you’re not staying there, and everyone seems to be genuinely good and useful.
11. Snack: Blue cheese and crackers.
12. Superstar crush: The onslaught of Austin Butler in spring 2022 — we shall be learning it for generations. This man tried so arduous to get me to have a crush on him and I noticed Elvis and it labored! Bizarre film however wonderful efficiency.
Thanks a lot, Hunter. We love your e-newsletter to the moon!
P.S. Extra individuals share their favourite issues, together with artwork curator Gisela Gueiros and clothes designer Somsack Sikhounmuong.
(Portrait of Hunter Harris by Andrew Goble. Graphic design by Erin Jang.)